Wednesday, June 1, 2016

#TeacherVoice - Why I Became a Connected Educator

Like many people, I avoided Twitter for the longest time because I thought it was all about news and celebrity gossip -- it seemed too overwhelming. However, in 2014 our district's convocation included live Tweets during the keynote address and I decided I wanted in on the action. I set up my account in that auditorium seat and was hooked immediately. From there, I learned that I could connect to all the smart educators in the world that have shaped who I am as a teacher: Penny Kittle,  Nancy Atwell, Chris Tovani, Jim Burke, Kelly Gallagher, Barry Lane, Gretchen Bernabei, Ken Robinson, ... well, you get the idea.

Other than following these great minds, I didn't get what "being connected" really meant until I was working on our school's strategic plan about a year ago. My team and I started asking all kinds of questions about integrating technology and creating innovative educational experiences for students. Sean Nash and Laura Gilchrist were two contacts in the district who pointed us in the right direction, and in the process, I began to build a professional learning network through Twitter and other social media.

Most of us who have taught for awhile know that annual PD during the school year tends to run in cycles and you start hearing the same messages even though they're presented in new ways. But last summer, my professional development took a complete turn when I started actively participating in the weekly #moedchat which led to a Twitter/Periscope session and a summer book study on Voxer. When my schedule allows, live, local events allow me to "collide" with these contacts in person. I continue to learn so much from these people on a daily basis and can honestly say that becoming a connected educator has transformed my professional development. I've gotten a ton of ideas that I've been able to take to the classroom to use with students. I've started this blog as a way express my own thoughts about teaching and what goes on in my classroom (even though it has gotten a slow start!). And - any time I've had a question or need help with something, I have a whole host of educators in my network that I can consult for their expertise.

Bottom line - becoming a connected educator helps me learn. In turn, I'm better equipped to help my students. If you're not connected with other educators on Twitter, do it. Be active, take risks, and use what you learn to fuel your passion. Be sure to follow me!

Twitter: @janet_braud

@teach_voice
#TeacherVoice




No comments:

Post a Comment